By Jaime Volpe, a University of New Hampshire graduate, interested in Family Studies and Nutritional Sciences.
Every day, teens are bombarded with conflicting information about nutrition, exercise and how to stay healthy. There’s so much to remember, it’s nearly impossible! But now there’s an easy way- New Hampshire has started the 5-2-1-0 Healthy Goals Campaign, a program designed to help familiarize parents, students, teachers, and members of every community with some of the simple things they can do to promote healthy eating and physical activity among children and teens. The campaign has spreading across schools nationally, and everyone can join the movement by following four simple rules that follow the number 5-2-1-0.
Each day, you should make sure to:
Eat 5 Fruits & Veggies
- Try to incorporate a fruit into breakfast! Into oatmeal, yogurt, pancakes, waffles, etc.
- Pack a fruit and/or vegetables as part of snack time: an apple, banana, grapes, veggies and hummus, dip, or peanut butter.
- Veggies can be added in a variety of ways at lunch: pizza toppings, sandwich toppings, salads, or soups!
- Preparing dinner at home will help get vegetables into meals: pasta sauces, vegetables baked into casseroles, veggies covered with cheese, soups and chili, stir-fry, etc.
Have 2 or less hours of screen time
- Set a limited amount of time you allow yourself to use computers or watch TV.
- Plan fun activities with your friends and family to do that will keep you entertained and not thinking about what is on tv or what video games you want to play.
- Some suggestions could be: activities outside like building snowmen and snow angels in the winter, playing at a park or on the playground, playing sports like catch or kicking around a soccer ball, cooking together, reading books, etc.
Engage in at least 1 hour of physical activity
- Go on walks or bike rides with friends.
- Play catch or kick around a soccer ball.
- Play outside with friends/family.
- Gradually increase activity levels if your are not already active.
- Take pets for walks or play with them.
- Remember: The 60 minutes can be broken up into intervals, even 10 minutes at a time can reach the goal!
Consume 0 soda and sweetened beverages
- Replace fruit juice and soda with water bottles.
- Drink 3 cups of skim or 1% milk each day with breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Try seltzer water-there’s tons of flavors in bottles & cans!
- Start by replacing one soda with water or milk each day and then add more as you go.
How’s your nutrition? Take a My Mojo quiz to find out how healthy your habits are!
Last reviewed Nov. 17, 2014