By Mary Magiera, Patient Advocate and type 1 diabetic.
Most teens are familiar with anorexia and bulimia, two eating disorders that affect a lot of people. But have you ever heard of diabulmina? It’ s an eating disorder specifically in people with type 1 diabetes. You may know a freind with diabetes, but you probably don’t know about diabulimia.
- Nerve damage causing painful cold or insensitive feet
- Damage to your eyes, blood vessels, or kidneys
- Slow healing cuts and sores that can become infected easily
- Change in eating habits, such as eating more but still losing weight
- Low energy levels
- Frequent urination
- Extreme concerns about weight and body shape
- Missed menstrual periods
- Unusual patterns of intense exercise