April is Stress Awareness Month. And why not? It’s tax season after all. Moreover, for many, it’s the end of a long hard winter. Let’s face it: with spring upon us, it’s as good a time as any to push the “reset” button. So we decided to check what’s out there for parents.
At BodiMojo,we spend a lot to time and effort on what is helpful for kids. Now it’s time to offer parents some resources, too. Being a parent is a lot of work. Every child requires attention and care. But often parents put themselves last in the line up.
Good news: There’s lots of great advice to to help hardworking parents! If you are a parent, mentor or caregiver, you can reduce stress and build strong healthy relationships with the children under your care. We’ve compiled a list of the top five books we love that focus on mindfulness, resilience and wholeheartedness.
- Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting. Jon and Myla Kabat-Zinn released a 2nd edition of this gem of a book which highlights the importance of cultivating mindfulness and present awareness throughout the parenting experience.
- Mindful Parenting: Simple and Powerful Solutions for Raising Creative, Engaged, Happy Kids in Today’s Hectic World. Kristen Race describes how to improve the overall happiness in your home by understanding your mindset and changing how you think.
- Parenting in the Present Moment: How to Stay Focused on What Really Matters. Carla Naumburg uses her personal parenting experiences with current relational theories and mindful parenting strategies to help families cherish every moment.
- Mindful Parent Happy Child: A Guide To Raising Joyful and Resilient Children. Pilar Placone discuses the positive impact of emotional intelligence for adults and children in her book. Calm parent, calm child. You get the idea.
- The Conscious Parent: Transforming Ourselves, Empowering Our Children. Shefali Tsabary advises parents to explore their inner consciousness. She stresses the importance of finding wholeness in oneself to improve the parent-child relationship.
Being a parent and caregiver is one of the toughest jobs out there. Keep it simple. Just pick one book for your reading list this month…. and take a long, deep breath.
Contributed by Jhanev Allen, BodiMojo Intern
photo credit: Dreamstime